As a student in Spain, am I entitled to insurance?

As a student in Spain, am I entitled to insurance?

If you have decided to come and study in Barcelona, and you have already gained admission to one of its universities or business schools, congratulations! You have passed the first step, but it is important for you to know that there are many other steps you must take if you are a foreign student, before landing in this city. 

Our first advice is that, once you have been admitted to the university, you should go to the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your country and find out in detail about all the procedures that you have to go through according to your nationality in order to study in Spain. 

Once you have done this, you can have a look at our student flats in Barcelona in order to pass the second procedure. 

One of the most frequently asked questions that all foreign students ask themselves, when they choose to study in Barcelona, is what type of health insurance they should take out to get their student visa. 

The medical insurance requirements of a foreign student in Spain depend on the nationality of the foreign student, the reasons for their trip and the duration of their stay, in short, will depend on the type of visa you need to apply for. 

If your stay is less than 90 days: Those foreign students who are going to stay in Spain for less than 90 days (Schengen Visa) will only need to contract a travel insurance that meets the following requirements, as established by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Spain: 

  1. Full coverage of Medical Assistance; Accident; Emergency and Repatriation.
  2. The insurance cover must be at least 30,000 Euros or its equivalent in USD and valid for all Schengen States.
  3. The policy must clearly specify the amount of cover or say unlimited. Likewise, it must state the coverage of repatriation for medical reasons or for death, and that has no co-payment or deduction.
  4. To prove the existence of this insurance, they must provide certification issued by the insurance company reflecting compliance with the coverage required. 

It is important to contract with an insurance company, which offers you a plan that meets the necessary requirements mentioned above, as there are many companies that offer travel plans that do not meet the requirements for the short-stay visa, which is why you should check the coverage of your policy before buying the insurance (these are the recommendations of insurance companies offered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Spain). 

If your stay is longer than 90 days, you must apply for a student visa, residence visa or work visa, depending on your case and in this case you will need medical insurance, since, in this case, travel insurance is not accepted. This medical insurance has to be contracted with an insurance company that is authorized to operate in Spain, and very important, without co-payment.

The coverage of this medical insurance must allow you to go to the doctor for check-ups, as well as for illnesses or emergencies. 

If you still have doubts about the medical insurance you must take out before coming to study in Barcelona, in the section of Frequently Asked Questions of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Spain you can finish answering them. 

Studying in Barcelona for a foreign student involves administrative procedures that you cannot avoid. Therefore, from student flats in Barcelona, we make it as easy as possible for you to find your student accommodation in Barcelona.


We are waiting for you!

We use our own cookies and third parties ones to offer our services and collect statistical data. If you continue browsing the internet you accept them. Accept
New student housing in Valencia +info