How to open a bank account in Spain if you are a foreigner

If you are a foreign student and need to open a bank account in Spain, you should know that it is not one of thee asiest procedures, but do not worry that we will tell you all the steps you must follow so that you do not find it difficult either. 

From Barcelona student apartments, we want to help you and make it easy for you, so we are going to tell you in this article everything you need to know to carry out this procedure.

The important thing is to be clear about what specific documents you need to have at hand to submit as a foreign student.

The documents and requirements depend a lot on the bank where you are going to open your account, because each one has its own requirements and documents needed to open an account for a foreign student. In addition, it will also vary depending on whe ther you are a resident or a non-resident. Let's clarify the set wo situations and differences:

The main difference between resident and non-resident is taxation. If you work in Spain and have to make a tax return, you automatically become a resident. If, on the other hand, you only come to Spain to study, this would be the case for a non-resident, as you have nothing to declare for tax purposes.

If you are a resident: the first thing to bear in mind is the requirements demanded by the banks when a person resident in Spain applies to open a bank account.

If you do not meet any of these requirements, find out how to comply with them or how to get the documentation you need.

The basic requirements and documents needed to open a bank account as a resident are:

  • DNI
  • Labor Contract
  • Thelastpayrollsreceived.
  • The last in come tax returns or the quarterly payment of VAT in the case of self-employed workers.

If you have this documentation with you, we will move on to the next step:

This next step is to find the bank that best suits your needs. As we have mentioned before, each bank will give you different advantages and will ask you for different documents.

Although the most common thing nowadays is not to go to a physical branch and do all the paperwork over the Internet, we recommend in this specific case to go to the branch of the chosen bank and do it in person.

If you are not a resident: to open a bank account as a non-resident in Spain you must have a certificate of non-residence.

To obtain this certificate of non-residence it is necessary to go to the consulate or any office of the National Police. Don't forget to bring your valid passport when you apply forit.

This is the main requirement that banks demand for non-residents and the documents you will need in this case are:

  • Passport and ID cardifyou are from the European Union. Both documents must be valid and not expire.
  • A document to certify your address. We will provide you with the rental document for your student apartment in Barcelona. 
  • A document that certifies your current job. For example: a payslip, a document that provides proof that you are unemployed or a student card.
  • Certificate of Non-Resident.

And last but not least, whether you are a resident or a non-resident, all the documents you need must be in Spanish. If they are in any other language they will not be accepted, and you will have to go to an official translator to have the translation stamped.

We use our own cookies and third parties ones to offer our services and collect statistical data. If you continue browsing the internet you accept them. Accept
New student housing in Valencia +info