The green card, what requirements do I have to meet?

The green card, what requirements do I have to meet?

There are many foreign students who come to study in Barcelona, those who ask themselves what the residence card is, if I need it during my stay in Spain and what requirements I must meet to obtain it if it is required of me.

As described by the immigration website of the Ministry of Labour, Migrations and Social Security in Spain, the residence card "is an authorisation that enables you to stay in Spain for a period of more than ninety days for the completion or extension of studies in an authorised educational centre in Spain, in a full-time programme that leads to the obtaining of a degree or certificate of studies".

It is important for you to know that this authorization will be required if you come to study at the University of Barcelona, if you are a student coming from a country that does not belong to the European Union.

In addition, you will be required to present the following documentation proving that you meet these other requirements:

  • National visa application form.
  • Complete and valid passport or travel document, recognized as valid in Spain, and with a validity equal to that of the period for which the stay is requested.
  • Documentation demonstrating that you have the financial means for the period you are going to stay in Spain and to return to your country at the end of the period requested for your stay.
  • A private medical insurance.
  • Admission to a university in Barcelona or a study centre.

If your stay will be longer than 6 months, you will be required to do so:

  • A medical certificate.
  • A criminal record certificate issued by the authorities of the country of origin or the country in which you have resided for the last five years.
  • If you are a student from a country outside the European Union and after completing your studies, you obtain the corresponding degree and wish to participate in an internship programme, you must apply for an internship residence permit in addition to your student residence card.

This must be requested by the entity or company in which the graduate student is going to carry out the internship, and for this you will be required to prove:

  • The absence of a criminal record in the countries of residence during the last 5 years
  • That you are residing regularly in Spanish territory. If you live in one of our student flats in Barcelona, we will provide you with the document that accredits the time that you have been living in our accommodations.
  • The document that accredits that you have contracted a health insurance.
  • As with the student residence card, you will be asked to prove that you have sufficient financial means for your stay and return to your country of origin.
  • An internship agreement signed in the same professional sector for which you have completed your university or higher education.
  • This permit is valid for a maximum period of one year.

Don't worry, if you come to study here and choose one of our student flats in Barcelona, we will advise you on everything you need. 

The content of this article is for guidance only. It will be necessary to check the regulations in force at the time of submission of the application.

We use our own cookies and third parties ones to offer our services and collect statistical data. If you continue browsing the internet you accept them. Accept
New student housing in Valencia +info